UNFPA has been working in Yemen since early 1970s. UNFPA Yemen current Country Programme (2012 – 2017) is aligned to the national priorities defined in the Socio-economic Development Plan for Poverty Reduction and the National Reproductive Health Strategy and responds sensitively to Transitional Program for Stabilization and Development (TPSD) and Humanitarian Response Plan.
Working with a wide range of partners, from civil society groups, youth NGOs, INGOS and other development partners, UNFPA supports Yemen in the development and humanitarian contexts through the following priorities: Sexual & reproductive health and Gender-based violence.
- Population: 25 mil
- Total Fertility rate: 4.2
- Maternal Mortality Ratio: 148
- Contraceptive prevalence rate: 29% using modern method and 34% using a method of family planning
- Population aged 10-24: 33%
- Youth (Age 15 -24) secondary school enrollment: boys 33% vs Girls 23%
*(Sources: NDHS 2013 and CSO report 2012)